This is undoubtedly my favourite cake. As much as I am a being fuelled almost exclusively by chocolate, I could eat this cake in its entirety in one sitting. The best thing is that this delicious sponge delivers on natural, punchy citrus flavours that a store bought version can lack. Easy, inexpensive and a solid choice for any family get together.
Don’t forget to check the Conversion Tables tab in the menu at the top of the page for alternate measurements!
You will need:
160g plain flour
160g unsalted butter
160g caster sugar
3 medium eggs
Zest of and juice of 3 lemons
120g icing sugar/ confectioner’s sugar
1tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180ºC
- Cream together butter and sugar to form a paste
- Whisk in the eggs, one at a time
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture
- Add the zest and juice of 2 lemons and mix until fully combined
- Grease the sponge tin with a little butter, pour the cake mix in and bake for around 20 minutes, or until a clean knife can be inserted and removed clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool
- Once cooled, mix the icing sugar and the remaining lemon zest and juice together and either pipe or pour onto the cake.
I like to make this cake in a square or a rectangular tin simply because I like to cut smaller “bars” opposed to the conventional slices to make it last longer!